Here4U is a social change behaviour program developed and delivered by Family Life, to educate people about domestic abuse and give participants the knowledge they need to recognise when it may be occurring and how to appropriately intervene. It also promotes gender equity and community inclusion with the goal of reducing domestic abuse.
Why do we need Here4U?
One out of every three women experience domestic abuse in Victoria, with Victoria Police responding to over 76,000 incidents each year. It is thought that these statistics drastically under-report the extent of abuse being experienced. Whilst abuse can occur across a range of relationships, statistically, men are the main perpetrator. The impact of domestic abuse is complex, can be ongoing, long lasting and can affect every aspect of life.
What is covered in Here4U?
Here4U has a flexible base structure, which allows the facilitator to cover a range of social inclusion issues including, but not limited to, the following:
- Unconscious biases
- A shared understanding of the drivers of domestic abuse
- The extent of abuse and gender inequity in Australia
- The impact of trauma on women and children
- Community attitudes towards abuse
- Influence of media in their portrayal of abuse
- Intersectionality and the barriers people may face
- Cycle of violence
- Myths that surround abuse
- How to recognise, respond to and support someone experiencing abuse
- Being an active bystander
- Interacting with people from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse [CALD] background
- Safety planning, self-care and referral pathways
What will I learn?
- How to take action when confronted with abuse in the community
- About the link between entrenched behaviours and abuse
- Knowledge and confidence to support victim-survivors when they are identified
- How to support mens’ behaviour and attitude change
- How to engage the broader community to challenge social norms that perpetuate violence against women
- How to support a social shift towards gender equality
Best suited to:
This program has the flexibility to be run for businesses, sporting or social groups, service providers and other agencies and in a range of formats dependent on the needs of the group.
Training is delivered by qualified, experienced facilitators who will work with you to lead the change in your community.
Training can range from a two hour information session, to up to six sessions (12 hours) depending on the requirements of the organisation
Dates to be scheduled. Please contact us if you are interested in hosting a workshop.
Training can be delivered online, at your workplace, at our centre in Sandringham or at an external venue of your choosing (dependent upon COVID-19 density quotient requirements).
Cost is dependent upon the size and needs of the group, the method of delivery and the location. Please call us to discuss your training needs.
To ensure a positive experience for all, the maximum group size is fifteen.
Acceptance into this program is subject to minimum enrolment numbers being achieved and/or maximum numbers being reached. Family Life reserves the right to discontinue service should the facilitator deem a participant to be better suited to an alternative form of support.
Want more information?
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (03) 8599 5433
If you represent a group that would like to receive this training, please contact us.