Family Dispute Resolution
Separation can be stressful and time consuming, and not just for you and your former partner but also for your wider family.
Finding solutions to ongoing conflict can help.
Family Life provides Family Dispute Resolution services to help separating parents settle their differences and move on with their lives.
Am I eligible for Family Dispute Resolution?
If you want to resolve disputes relating to your children and avoid going to court, then family dispute resolution is the service for you. It is compulsory to attempt family dispute resolution as an alternative to court where it safe to do so.
How will I benefit from Family Dispute Resolution?
Family Dispute Resolution can help you better communicate with your former partner and your family. The aim is to help you reach an agreement around issues of separation and child care arrangements.
- The Family Dispute Resolution service can provide you several benefits:
- It’s cheaper, less time-consuming and less stressful than the court process
- It can help you improve communication with the other parent
- You won’t be forced to accept decisions you don’t agree with
- You’re more likely to follow agreements in a Parenting Plan you helped build.
What can I expect from the Family Dispute Resolution process?
Before you take part in the process, we ask you to take an assessment which will help us decide whether Family Dispute
Resolution is appropriate in your case. If you need extra support, we can also connect you with additional services.
If you’re eligible, we’ll set up a meeting with you and an experienced mediator. You’ll be free to express your own viewpoint and talk about the issues you believe are important.
Once everyone’s had the opportunity to express themselves and raise the issues they’re concerned about, the mediator will assist both parents to develop a Parenting Plan tailored to your family’s needs.
Activities and tasks in Family Dispute Resolution usually include:
- Listening to the other parent
- Giving your child an opportunity to share their suggestions
- Highlighting the issues that you would like to resolve
- Exploring and testing a range of solutions
- Putting joint agreements on paper in the form of a Parenting Plan
How can I take part in Family Dispute Resolution?
Family Life’s Family Relationship Centre offers Family Dispute Resolution services to the Frankston and Mornington Peninsula areas.
If you would like to know more about Family Dispute Resolution, contact Family Life via
Phone (03) 8599 5433.
Located at – Level 1, 60-64 Wells Street, Frankston,