Breaking the cycle of adolescent violence through professional support
If your child is acting out, or using violence or abuse to intimidate or control you, it’s important to understand their behaviour and help them get back onto the right path again.
At Family life, we’re committed to family safety and helping young people thrive. Our Adolescent Violence Support program provides counselling, group work and other services to you and your child, to help you re-establish a happy home.
Is my child really violent?
There are a number of warning signs that your child is using abusive or violent behaviour.
- Hitting, punching, shoving, kicking, spitting
- Breaking and throwing things
- Abusive and bullying behaviour to siblings
- Cruelty to pets
- Verbal abuse, swearing, yelling, put downs
- Playing mind games
- Making threats to run away, hurt or kill themselves
- Demanding money or purchases you can’t afford
- Stealing money or possessions
- Incurring debts that you have to pay.
What can I do to help them?
Along with our counselling services, we offer two programs that aim to increase family safety and engage at-risk young people.
If your child is between 12 and 17 years of age, the ReBoot program can motivate them to stop using violence against you and your family. It helps them understand what triggers their emotions and behaviours, offering them tools and strategies to manage themselves in a healthy way.
- Young people aged between 12-17 years who live, study or work in the Bayside Peninsula region
- The young person is, at the point of referral, living within the family home
- The young person is using frequent and ongoing violence against a parent or carer
- The young person is mandated to participate by the court
If you would like to know more about the ReBoot program, please contact (03) 8599 4533 or email email@example.com.